Resolving Your Citation

Permits & Planning

Permits & Planning

Resolving Your Violation

Follow the Directions

The first step to resolving your violation is to read the instructions on your copy of the citation given by an Arcola Police Officer. The citation contains a lot of information on how to resolve your citation. (If you are a Juvenile, see the Youth Offender page for resolving a violation.)

Make A Plea

After you are issued a citation, you must enter a plea by the appearance date located at the bottom of your citation. Remember only the person who received the citation can enter a plea to the citation. Photo Identification is required when you appear. You have three plea options to choose from:

  1. No Contest (Nolo Contendere) – A plea of No Contest means that you do not contest the violation filed against you and you are waiving your right to a trial by judge or jury.

  2. Guilty – By entering a plea of Guilty you admit that the act is prohibited by law, that you committed the act charged, and that you are waiving your right to a trial by judge or jury.

    When you enter a “No Contest” or “Guilty” plea, you may:

    • pay the fine specified for the violation.

    • request Driving Safety Course (if eligible).

    • request Deferred Disposition (if eligible).

    • request a monthly payment plan for the fine/cost (A time payment reimbursement fee of $15.00 is added to each case on the 31st from the date of judgment).

    • request a payment option

3. Not Guilty – A plea of Not Guilty means that you are informing the Court that you deny guilt to the violation in which you were accused. When you enter a plea of Not Guilty to any violation, you will be set to a trial date.

The judgment and sentence for the offense you are charge is the payment of a fine and cost. If ordered to pay a fine and cost, and you cannot pay, notify the court immediately. If you are determined by the court to have insufficient resources or income to pay, the court is required to provide you other ways to discharge the fine and cost.

What Happens If I Do Not Make a Plea or Ignore My Citation?

If you fail to make a plea for each violation shown on your citation, a warrant may be issued for your arrest. For more information on warrants and how to resolve them, please refer to Warrant Information.